Neither a borrower nor a lender be
Random header image... Refresh for more!

A City’s Priorities

Aqueducts and roads are the essential elements of a city.  There is no city without clean water and sanitation.  There is no city unless goods and people can circulate.  Therefore the top priorities are our water mains, water treatment facilities and our roads.  The people who live along our aqueducts and roads desire the protection of safety and law.  Therefore fire and police services are the next most important priority.  With our basic needs met, and our safety ensured we turn to the higher mind.  An excellent education for our children, and an excellent public library for all are the city’s next most important priorities.  Open and natural spaces are important for health and well being, so parks are the next priority.

The City of Burlington does a lot of other things of course.  It provides electricity and telecommunications, buries the dead, runs an airport, promotes the arts and lots more- but if you asked me my top proirities for the city, the answer is:  1)Water 2) Roads 3)Fire 4)Police 5) Schools 6)Libraries 7)Parks.

9 comments

1 Limit approaching zero { 05.07.11 at 10:42 pm }

What about EMS? Otherwise agree across 1-7.

2 dale tillotson { 05.09.11 at 3:17 pm }

Now for the shocking comment of the year. Mayor Kiss has expressed concerns with the increasingly high water that our sewer systems are going to be challenged in handling of the excess.

This is an item where I agree with Mayor Kiss on, yes I said I agree with Mayor Kiss.

I do still have concerns though that we have not paid off the bond debt for the sewage treatment plant yet, although word has it that it is being paid off timely and properly with our sewer , water bills etc. Let’s hope so.

3 Jay Vos { 05.10.11 at 5:17 am }

Nice list, Haik; sometimes I wish it were that simple.
Ever since I moved here and got engaged in the city’s political arena, I’ve always been interested in how decisions get made, money gets spent, and interests get met.

I read about the city’s pension scheme, but only occasionally does it get pushed into the limelight. It’s almost as if politicians ignore it because it’s not that interesting (or understandable in 25 words or less). How do decisions regarding the pension fund have the power to drive other decisions in the city, and to drive them in ways that do or don’t seem to serve the interests of the majority of the people? Dale? Haik?

4 Tale Dillotson { 05.10.11 at 11:48 am }

Figures. A school board member putting education behind fire and police. While these services are valuable and much appreciated, educating our children should be priority #1.

5 Haik Bedrosian { 05.11.11 at 9:13 pm }

Educating our children is priority #1 for the school board, but I what I’ve written here are priorities for the city as a whole. Text books don’t help you if you can’t get a drink of clean water… I’ll let Dale field Jay’s question about the pension system. I personally find that it’s not that interesting, as there’s no way to explain it in 25 words or less.

6 dale tillotson { 05.12.11 at 12:01 pm }

Haik who is Tale Dillotson? On second thought who cares.

7 dale tillotson { 05.12.11 at 12:14 pm }

Jay. The pension problem is certainly one of total complexity, and any time I have asked our leaders to update the status, it does not seem to matter if it is 25 words or less or 2500 or more, their is really not a solid answer given, quite possibly and likely because they do not know either. In my own mind though I think I understand how the pension system affects everything that goes on in the city and can describe it in one word, money.
The pension funds probably are just not there to support the guaranteed pensions we have sitting out there, say nothing about pensions for new hires . Please note the last sentence has 25 words

8 Haik Bedrosian { 05.12.11 at 10:16 pm }

“Haik who is Tale Dillotson?”

Good Catch Dale. That slipped right by me.

Tale’s ip address belongs to a someone who has felt “disrespected” by certain comments. That’s regretable, and “Tale” and if I offended you or hurt your feelings in the past, I’m sorry. That was never my intent.

9 dale tillotson { 05.13.11 at 7:22 pm }

Haik. Thanks for ending that Tale by a Dillotson.